Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Nurturing the "inner" garden

Other than dinner-time grazing and occasional (but not the requisite daily half-hour) weeding and watering, I've spent little time in the garden this week. Garden collaborators have also been noticeably absent. Perhaps we all need a break? We worked darn hard leading up to the tour and created a beautiful and delicious place to be. But right now I think we're all too tired to care, and have shifted our focus back to a more balanced way of being.

I like to think I'm presently nurturing my "inner" garden - as I focus on a new job, learn about healthcare and the many issues we're all facing today, adjust to a new schedule, wrap up old projects and try to stick with my own wellness regimen. There's always plenty to do here, too! Pussycats are demanding more time when I'm home, and I don't feel as compelled to spend time at the computer. A long walk to Sunset Hill Park (what we Ballardites grew up calling "the bluff") was rewarded with one of the most spectacular sunsets I've seen yet, and a scent of the sea in the slightly cool air. We're expecting 80 degree temperatures over the next few days!

I have yet to open the utility bill to see what our water usage looks like. I'm hoping the rain barrels were sufficient for much of our first long dry period. Perhaps when I receive my first paycheck (soon!), I'll feel brave enough to take a look.

A few garden notes:
  • Peas, carrots and raspberries are flourishing and all are as sweet as can be! Miss Kasey from down the street visits the garden regularly; she, too, can't resist the garden flavors.
  • Tomato plants grow taller every day, and green tomatoes are getting bigger.
  • Mustard and kale have gone to seed, and we're leaving them untouched for now. Forrest wants to save the seeds for future planting, so we'll see how that works with these greens.
  • The pear trees look full, but the Gravenstein has only a few small apples. Golden & red delicious are more plentiful but not by much.
Garden tour update: Groundswell Northwest reports that over 100 enthusiasts took the self-guided tour, garnering much-needed dollars for GNW and Sustainable Ballard.


(Photos: Kasey in Shiv's pea patch; this so easily could be a picture of me at her age!; Sara and friend eating Shiv's peas while he describes his Hindu practice prior to our yoga session)

1 comment:

  1. Shiv told me there wouldn't be any apples this year... that he dreamt it. That is the apple forecast and I see no reason to dispute it. Seems your observation about the gravenstein only affirms this....

    ReplyDelete