Wednesday, July 8, 2009

A freakish new food trend

Driving home from work, I tuned into NPR's All Things Considered. The report was about "tornado fries," a Korean trend apparently founded in South Africa and now gaining popularity on the US east coast - New Jersey, to be specific.

The "fry" - since it's really just one potato - comes in two sizes, 18 and 26 inches. Apparently cut like a giant curly fry, it's skewered and deep fried. While the potato is reported to be stretched in size, it seems to me that these must be mighty large potatoes - certainly not your average potato, or even what most of us would consider a "normal" potato. A blog post says you can grow these potatoes in your Denver backyard... Really? They look like frankenfood to me.

Not to mention, that's a whole lot of starch fried in a whole lot of grease. Somehow I doubt they're organic, local, or particularly nutritious in any way. I'm sure they're a "fun food" to eat if you're at the state fair, in need of a treat, and looking for something to share. But for me, even that's a bit of a stretch. Curiosity might bend my resistance... but a bite or two would do.

(Photo: egregiously pilfered from serious eats' June 27 blog post)

No comments:

Post a Comment