Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Extreme heat


OK - it's just too hot to sit in my wee little office to type out blog posts. Not a cross-breeze to be had anywhere near here. And the garden, well, it's still thirsty, and drinking lots of water from the tap. It could probably drink more, but for now, I just want to make sure everything at least remains alive.

I've heard it hit 110 here today, but for now it's just a rumor and I find it hard to believe. It would certainly be a record. However, mid-day, while out for a walk... well, it could have been 100, or at least the high 90s. I'm sure this has to be one of the dryest, hottest summers on record.

The tomatoes seem happy. Much more than last year, when rain was plentiful and hot summer sun was late in coming and then fairly scarce. The peppers are slow; we have signs of the fruit to come, but I remember we planted the seeds a little late. The ground cherries (tomatillos) have little pods (really little), so I'm hopeful! I thought they'd be going strong by now with all this heat, but it's the first attempt to grow them, so I guess we'll see. A few things have gone to seed, and we hope to use them for planting next year (more on that later). Grass is popping up everywhere and I'm too hot to care (and to hot to bother pulling it out).

Well, if I'm too hot to write, you're probably too hot to read. More when the breeze picks up!

(Photos: Thirsty raspberries; happy pepper)

No comments:

Post a Comment