Monday, October 21, 2019

Cultivate an abundance mindset

Abundance is what we
choose to see.
Most mornings, I listen to a Kenneth Soares "I AM" affirmation on Insight Timer. I've listened to them for so long now I hear his voice in my head. Usually what I hear is, "where focus goes, energy flows." 

You don't have to read Carol Dweck's Mindset, popular among today's c-suite leaders, to know that some of us are more open to learning than others. In fact, that's her premiseare you generally open- or closed-minded (a 'growth' or 'fixed' mindset) to new experiences and ideas? Are you willing to change what you believe and how you learn? 

For all intents and purposes, we are our mindset. So much of what we experience ties back to what we believe, at our core, which is what we made our experiences mean when we were kids. This belief becomes our mindset, which largely defines our approach to learning and development.

Declutter your thoughts 

Spiritual Economics, The Principles and Process of True Prosperity by Eric Butterworth, is an exploration into our beliefs about abundance, and not just our finances. Butterworth shows us how to recognize our beliefs around abundance, how to change them, and ultimately, how to cultivate an abundant life. 
Amazing Grace Spiritual Center

I'm taking a class based on the book, and last week, the instructor asked if I'd talk about it on Sunday at the spiritual center I often attend. Seeing it as a stretch opportunity, I said yes. We teach that which we most need to learn, yes? That's certainly true in coaching. Funny how that works. 

As if to emphasize the point, Sunday's featured talk was called, Declutter Your Life, Kondo Your Thinking, Change Your Life

Perfect. I shared the following story. 

Garbage in, garbage out... 

I had friends over for dinner a few nights ago, and the conversation turned to national politics, and I noticed I started to squirm.  

I got up, cleared the table, did a few things, sat back down, and I recognized I was very uncomfortable with the nature of the continuing conversation. So I stopped it. I didn't just change the subject. I owned that it was making me uncomfortable. Focusing on everything that's wrong feels like scarcity to me, and it fuels my anxiety. It doesn't feel hopeful, and it detracts from whatever meaning I assign to my life. 

I have no power to change what's happening at the national level, other than with my vote and small financial contributions. My point of power is in my present moment, in the small circle of influence I currently inhabit, and with the energy I put out into the world. I don't want to add to scarcity. I want to add to abundance. Where focus goes, energy flows. 

What we think, we create

Wayne Dyer writes in The Power of Intention, "Be continually alert to the fact that simply by thinking and feeling in harmony with intention... you'll counterbalance the collective negativity of 90,000 people, and perhaps millions." 

What I know is that there are a lot of people doing amazing work, including some of those people at the dinner table. Yes, we can talk about all the giant things that shouldn't be in the world right now but let's focus on what we can do and not kvetch. I'm not naive. I know what's going on; I read and watch trusted news sources. There's an endless list of broken systems. And... there are also people working to fix them.  

What does abundance mean to you?

While not financially flush, I believe my life is abundant. Every day, when I open my back door, I see and hear an abundance of birds, smell a variety of plants, trees, and fertile soil, and can snack on the growing things peppered around the yard. I also count my blessings because I have this yard, a partner who helps me manage it (who loves me), and a house, with heat, and a refrigerator that's never empty. And that's just a starting point. 

I've always liked the saying, "you can lament because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses." 

I choose how I see the world, and my abundance is grounded in what I choose to see. Where I put my attention is what I create.  

Cultivate and protect your mindset

Here are a few tips for cultivating more abundance:  
  • Contribute. Volunteer. Donate. Share. Recognize how much you have to give, even if it feels small. There is likely someone who would gladly change places with you. 
  • Ask better questions. Instead of, what do I need to get done today, ask, what do I need to do for my highest and greatest good today
  • Or, ask, what does the world need from me today (I think that's what JFK asked)?  
  • Start a daily gratitude practice. Either at the start or end of your day, write out those few things that stand out that you're grateful for today. Even better, tell someone else. 
  • Open your eyes (figurative and literal) to what's working in your life, even the smallest things. What or who do you appreciate?  
  • Explore how you define success. When will you know you're there? 
  • What do you tell yourself about your self-worth? What are you deserving of? Is what you tell yourself something you'd say to someone you care about? 
  • Be mindful of how you engage and the quality of content and people you allow into your life. Do you feel good or not? While commiserating has its place, be careful. Pay attention. This may be more important than anything else. 
As I experience more abundance, I'm able to give more and do more, and in turn, generate more abundance in my world. Where focus goes, energy flows...  

What do you want more of? Do that... Give that. 

Whether it's time, money, energy, or just shifting a conversation, we all have a role in creating the abundant world we want to live in. What feeds you, fuels you? That's your gift to the world, which radiates positive energy, which contributes to abundance everywhere.  


If you like this post or this blog resonates with you in any way, please feel free to share it, comment below, or send me a message. I'm also available for one-on-one coachingyou can find me here.

No comments:

Post a Comment