Thursday, October 10, 2019

Maximized, appreciated, compensated

Reach toward the sunshine
and grab onto possibilities.
 
I heard this line on Gretchen Rubin's Happier podcast this morningsomething a pro football player said when asked why he changed teams: I want to be maximized, appreciated, and compensated. 

It's my new mantra. 

The prolific Irish playwright (and founder of the London School of Economics) George Bernard Shaw said, "I want to be thoroughly used up when I die, for the harder I work, the more I live. I rejoice in life for its own sake. Life is no 'brief candle' to me. It's sort of a splendid torch which I have a hold of for the moment and I want to make it burn as brightly as possible before handing it over to future generations." 

While I'm using the above mantra as I look to make a work change, it got me thinking about life in general and why knowing our worth and valuing ourselves is so important. So, some thoughts and questions for you to sit with: 
  • life is short, fight for your dreams, and if you don't know what your dreams are, what lights you up? 
  • don't settle; write that bucket list if you haven't already and start checking these off
  • recognize when it's time to make a change because, at least during this incarnation, we only get one chance at this
  • we all have unique gifts to share with the world; even if you don't know yours, or if it feels too modest, it's important
  • regrets suck, so now's the time; what are you curious about? what do you want to explore, know, see, do, feel, experience before you die? 
  • and if you're not sure if you can, or if you should, why not? and why NOT you? 
Take some time with these. Be honest. You're worth the time and consideration. 

As a coach I know often says, everything you want is on the other side of fear. So if that's what stops you, what's the impact of that? What's the payoff for staying safe?  


If you like this post or this blog resonates with you in any way, please feel free to share it, comment below, or send me a message. I'm also available for one-on-one coachingyou can find me here.


No comments:

Post a Comment