Monday, August 31, 2009

Lining up ducks...

This is going to seem like even more of a non-sequitur than anything else on here lately, but here it goes:

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”

Thanks to the most quotable Mark Twain.

I used to have the "explore, dream, discover" on my refrigerator when I lived in Vancouver. A lifetime ago, in so many ways. Imagine that. Life showed up and I'm more entrenched in the harbor than I ever thought I'd be.

I'm familiar with an unsafe harbor, which is where I now find myself. Previously, it's proved to be one of my more creative places. But then something happens and life continues on. So here I am again.

Life is short, and getting my proverbial ducks lined up, I thought, would make the sail into unsafe waters a bit easier. But maybe I didn't need so many ducks, or perhaps only some of them needed to line up.

Regardless, I've said goodbye to my safe harbor and I'm underway. And I'm not afraid to rock the boat. But meanwhile, my heart aches beyond description, and it appears I'm on my own for the rest of this journey, ducks in line or no ducks.

No comments:

Post a Comment