Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Late Starts



Being somewhat new to growing 'real food' (I've grown herbs, greens, and flowers, and I've been around a lot of gardens, and somewhat recently, farms... ), it didn't occur to me - until it was long past the "six weeks prior to last frost" - that I would need to start some of my seeds in pots, indoors. And even if it had, I don't have a single inch of indoor space for extra plant pots.

I've started some anyway. Growing up, a delicious treat grew alongside the garden's edge - we called them 'ground cherries,' or 'husk tomatoes,' but they didn't really look like either. They were berry-like, small, sweet and yellow, and grew inside a husk. I've looked for seeds or starts for years and couldn't find them.

Apparently they're a type of Tomatillo and Territorial Seeds had a few organic types to choose from in the 2008 catalog. I ordered two varieties, but never planted them. In fact, I forgot about them until about a week ago.

Shiv had some no-longer-used pots, so I borrowed them and planted my seeds. I thought a greenhouse effect of some sort might help, so I re-purposed some plastic storage boxes, placing them over the pots to trap the heat. I think it might be working - I see wee plants popping up. Forrest seemed to think it could work, and did the same with some tomato seeds.

I'll keep you posted, and if they transplant successfully and actually produce fruit, you'll have to come by for a taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment