Monday, April 27, 2009

Honey worth waiting for



It's the holy grail of honey. I first saw the jars while volunteering with Sustainable Ballard at an Earth Day event just over a week ago (see earlier post) and knew I had to try it.

Today, Dave Reid of the Sail Transport Company delivered a jar to my doorstep, where I happily exchanged a check for a three-pound jar. The glossy, rich golden-brown shade resembles that of new motor oil, but didn't require a drop from farm to delivery. For those of us thinking about our carbon footprint and how we might pay for and access food (other than what we grow) when oil prices skyrocket, this is nice to know.

The honey comes from Buck Hollow Farms in Poulsbo and arrives in Seattle via Whisper, Dave's sailboat. I don't know whether the personalized service is typical, but it came to my door from his slip at the Shilshole marina thanks to Dave's pedal power.

Forrest says, "we've discovered the 'crack' of honey." We shared a honey-combed spoonful with the neighbor. He agreed.

I'm amazed that, growing up, I didn't like honey. But then again, it's understandable when I remember that most of the honey available then was supermarket-style, mass-produced and processed.

This is not that. Until recently, I bought my honey from the Ballard Farmers Market. It's really good stuff. But that's not this, either. This is it. The stuff. I'd call it honey love. You might want to order yours now. It's really too good to pass up.

2 comments:

  1. oh my god it is good. really, really good. I wouldn't say it looks like motor oil, though... it looks more like coffee, or guiness stout, or oak tannin, or southern ice tea before it's diluted with water, or.... something (OK, it does look like motor oil, but I drank some of that by accident once and have a very negative association with it).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there! well this surely sounds like a sweet success : ) (Forrest - I do not mean your drinking oil!) sending smiles!

    ReplyDelete