Thursday, August 1, 2019

Deciding means nothing without action

The face in this stump taunts. 
One piece of early career advice came when I was an ad agency account coordinator. Always eager to grow and learn, I asked Stan, a senior PR guy I respected, for words of wisdom. Those words stayed with me: Make a decision, any decision. Just make one.

I got to test that soon after for one of my clients, the sponsor of a major local parade. A team of classic convertible Mustangs were set to open the show, but for reasons unknown, no one was around to direct the drivers to start. When I realized I was the only one from our team there, a mere coordinator, I made a decision, got them moving, and the parade began.

While being decisive is a highly valued skill in business, decision making doesn't come easy for everyone. Easier is second guessing, doubting our own judgement, or acquiescing to those we think know better. So that was good advice, something I've heeded ever since.

But here's a catch.

To decide doesn't mean anything if no action follows.

Decisions must have action steps

Janine Driver, in a recent TEDx talk in Houston, made me think a little deeper about decisiveness. There's a lot of wiggle room around the word decide, which is both good news and bad news, depending on who's doing the deciding. 

We can decide to change our lives, our thoughts, our experiencesomething I write about frequently. We can decide to lose weight, or decide on a New Year's resolution. But if we don't take action, that decision is an empty promise. 

So just because you decide something doesn't mean it's set in stone. Make a bad decision? Chances are, you can fix it. A good decision? Breathe a sigh of relief! 

Well-informed decisions are the best kind: when we have enough information about the topic at hand, we can make decisions that matter. 

When it isn't your decision

Sometimes others make decisions for us, and let's say we don't agree with those decisions. While some decisions are irreversible, like a job layoff, others... well, they may be negotiable. 

Driver adds 'ly' to decide and says, "Decidedly because changes what was." Yes, that's awkward, but stay with me for a moment. The clincher is in the word because. She says words that end in 'ly' are wiggle wordswords like typically, usually, likely, and while most of us don't use the word 'decidely', she has a point.

Decided means there may be another way. Just like typically. Or usually. Or likely. All of these have an out-clause, meaning there's another potential option. The 'ly' added to a word creates uncertainty. Sure, it may be in part semantics, but when you think about it, it makes perfect sense. 

How we make decisions

Driver describes the decision-making process: we research, then we reason (because), which leads to results. In my above example, the research was done previously: I knew what was supposed to happen. But reason showed up when I realized there wasn't anyone there actually doing what had to be done, that someone had to do it, and that someone was me. The result was that the parade started on time.

Ask for what you want

Her point was this: fight for what you want. If we hear those words: decide(dly), typically, usually, likely, that means there are other options. 

She cited a work situation: If your boss says they usually don't promote employees until after their first full year, but you feel you deserve a promotion, usually is your out-clause. Ask for what you want. Usually means an exception can almost certainly be made.

Words matter. 

Make a decision

Whenever I find myself floundering, stuck, or unsure, I tell myself: Just make a decision. Doesn't matter if it's the right one or the best one. Just make one. Everything starts with a decision. Even if it's just what to wear to work, or more broadly, where to work. 

Keep in mind, there are no mistakes, just opportunities to learn. Try on whatever you decide, act on it, see if it fits. If what you decided feels flawed or doesn't work the way you thought it would, change it. But make a decision.  



If you like this post, or this blog resonates with you in any way, please feel free to share it, comment below, or send me a message. I'm also available for one-on-one coachingyou can find me here.



No comments:

Post a Comment