Tuesday, January 22, 2013

What is life coaching?

I have to admit being caught off guard when talking with a colleague from a previous work life. We ran into each other at an event and I mentioned I was training to be a life coach. She asked, "What's that?" 

My answer didn't roll off my tongue. Instead, I stuttered and stumbled on my words, realizing I wasn't really clear on how to articulate what a life coach does for someone who doesn't know. I think I muttered something about business coaching and she nodded with a little more recognition. 

So it makes sense that I actually spend time defining it in a way that works for me. At this stage in my training, I know that coaching is a partnership between two really smart people, with one asking a whole lot of questions to help the other find their own unique answers. It goes where friendships can't, and it's different than mentoring, counseling, or consulting, because the person being coached is their own Subject Matter Expert. 

But none of those are really satisfactory, succinct answers when someone asks, "What's that?" 

As a life coach, I help people move their lives forward - whether that's getting unstuck, reaching a previously unattainable goal, transcending limiting beliefs or situations, or gaining clarity on what they really want. Coaching is a powerful conversation, a synergistic partnership, a personal empowerment process unlike any other. I help people learn to better communicate both personally and professionally, connect deeply with themselves, and connect dots between where they are and where they want to be. Ultimately, I'm a catalyst for creating positive change. 

Well, it's still not succinct, but it's feeling and sounding more satisfying. And I'm not sure I'm completely there yet, but it is something I intend to live in to. 

I'll keep working on this, so stay tuned.  






No comments:

Post a Comment