Friday, July 12, 2019

Grow your mind, body and spirit

Change is all there is
If you've ever been hit over the head with a two-by-four, figurative or literal, you know it hurts. And sadly, the hit of the proverbial kind often takes more than one to get our attention. Ideally, we learn and stay out of harms way the next time.  

That proverbial hit has happened to me more often than I care to admit—major moves, job changes, relationship traumabut thankfully, I can also say I've experienced what the experts now call post-traumatic growth (a term I'm still not sure I like, even though I get the value of it). When we learn from events that cause what most of us know as PTSD, we develop new coping skills, grow our emotional intelligence, and ideally, grow our mind, body and spirit. 

To do this, though, we must be willing to shift our mindset. Most of us are more prone to be victims of our circumstances, rather than to view what happens as opportunities to grow. 

Blueprint for growth and change

Over the last week, I watched a five-part series called Transcendence, Live Life Beyond the Ordinary. The show is a comprehensive blueprint for change, challenging knowledge and beliefs pervasive throughout our north American culture. During one interview, Sean Stephenson, author of the international best seller Get Off Your 'But' asked himself after yet another fall, 'why him' and 'why again' when he broke more bones. Sean, who was born with a rare bone disorder, grew to just three feet and wasn't expected to live, is an extraordinarily accomplished humanbecause at one point, he changed his mindset.  

A few things he shared: 
  • having a dream is more important than achieving a dream
  • when something is upsetting or unfair, he's too zoomed in; he suggests zooming out and changing perspectivethis isn't happening TO me, but FOR me
  • ask, "what can I learn from this?"
While this post doesn't even remotely do justice to the show, which I highly recommend to anyone who's interested in living a more intentional, empowered life, here are a few other gems from this episode:
  • To be fulfilled, apply effort now, enjoy pleasure later; to be gratified, seek pleasure now, but pay later
  • Be an unrealistic human being; these are the people who chart the course for the rest of us (think Jobs, Bezos, et al)
  • If we're unsure of our purpose, look at the pains we experienced as children and explore the gifts those pains may have provided us; these pains may lead us to what we're passionate about and where we feel purposeful 
To have a fulfilling life, there are three types of worthy pursuits: 
  1. decide what experiences you want to have in your life
  2. ask yourself and then list how you want to grow and evolve
  3. consider where you want to make a difference and how you'll give back to the world... 
Reap the rewards... 
From Transcendence... 


I don't want to be hit upside the head again, so I actively work to grow mind, body, and spirit, and facilitate change when I know something isn't working anymore. I've felt that blow enough, and while tremendous good has come from each, I'd rather learn sooner and reap, not pay, big dividends. 

How about you? Feeling any change afoot? Areas where something no longer serves you? Know what you need to do but aren't yet willing to do it? My suggestion is to get on it, or it'll get on you. Seriously. 

Life is about change, and change is good. Without it, we'd all be stagnant, boring, and bored. Who wants that? 


If you like this post, or this blog resonates with you in any way, please feel free to share it, comment below, or send me a message. I also have two openings available for one-on-one coachingyou can find me here.



No comments:

Post a Comment