Sunday, June 9, 2013

Full circle: Sustainable Ballard's 5th annual Edible Garden Tour

We were sitting in the backyard when a woman walked around the corner of the house. "Would you like to be part of Sustainable Ballard's Edible Garden Tour? Your garden is really inspiring."

And so it is we're once again on the Edible Garden Tour - five years after the first, which was our first as a community garden. A few things have changed. The gardeners, for one, although several of them remain our friends. My neighbor, Shiv, is the exception, although he's brought family members along to help.

And all that work we did in 2009? Well, I have news for you. We have some invasive grass that's beyond tenacious. The layers of impermeable paper and plastic, along with the foot or so of bark, were no match for the invasives. And we have no shortage of various types of nightshade, holly, ivy, and brambles - and who knows what else. Oh - and oregano, lilac, ocean spray and maple. Who knew these would spread the way they do???

But that said, it's all coming together again this year. Thanks largely to Ice Jackson, as the bluetooth in my car so designates him (he's my ICE - In Case of Emergency - contact). He's now back from seven months at sea, and the garden is grateful. As I am. I think both the garden and I have felt parched, and his return is like quenching a long-held thirst.

I like gardening. There's something very satisfying about pulling weeds and watching seeds grow into edible plants. But because this yard is so huge, and there are so many weeds, it's just too much on my own. He is so much more able than I am - so much stronger, and allergy-free. That combination makes the work go much faster, and the visual sense of accomplishment that much more rewarding. And while so much work is required to keep it up, this garden continues to be a very special place.

The garden tour is Saturday, June 29 (here's the event website with details). If you're reading this and in the 'hood that day, come on by. I suspect it'll be a bit of a party.

May 2013: Getting started
May 2009: Getting started

June 2009: Edible Garden Tour day

No comments:

Post a Comment