Friday, May 28, 2010

It can't rain all the time... can it?

Here it is Memorial Day weekend and rain is forecast for most of it (a few sun breaks are expected in between drops and we here in the Northwest know exactly what a sun break is...makes me think of Erik the Viking... seen it?). Most of May was wet.

The garden is sufficiently watered, but I've yet to plant most of my seeds as I am a fair-weathered gardener and this is not my idea of fair weather... While it's warmer, I'm still in layers, boots, and rain gear. The days may be longer, but they're barely lighter... the sky just stays gray longer, and on some days, they're just a lighter shade of gray, depending on the torrent of that particular day.

Yes, Rainy Days and Mondays do tend to get me down.

On the plus side, weeds come out of the ground much easier. If I can make myself get out there to pull them.

Jane Siberry has a great song called, "It Can't Rain All the Time" - which is really about lost love and not at all about rain, but the sentiment can certainly evoke how I feel sometimes when the rain just doesn't stop...

Yes! Magazine features water this month, noting that some parts of the country are currently preparing for drought, and learning to manage their declining water resources (includes some awesome looking articles that I haven't yet read, including a piece by Canadian water advocate Maude Barlow, who I've written about here before...). And while water doesn't seem to be an issue here with all that rain, our water supply is greatly dependent on our snowpack, of which we really didn't have much this year. So yes, we should be paying attention to water resources...

I'm sure when summer finally comes (if it does; it's entirely possible that it might not, as nothing about Northwest weather is predictable, climate change or not), I will be grateful for the full rain barrels and the city reservoirs topped up by rainfall. Just not right now. I am ready for sunlight, which gives me energy, enthusiasm, and a reason to get out of bed in the morning.

I think all this rain has made me punchy. Not to mention flabby, because the last thing I feel like doing is going for a walk, a run, or working in the garden.

1 comment: