Sunday, August 2, 2009

Delicacy discovered ... in my own backyard

Twitter is one of those social networking tools that I have mixed feelings about. I signed on because I need to know how to - and while I was job hunting, show that I can - use the tools of the day, given that I'm a "communicator" by trade or profession. But I don't post often, despise those posts that add no value (e.g., so and so is having a fine day...), find it most useful as a news feed (and am "following" many of the major, foreign and food/ag/health-related media), but still don't check it regularly (although I did discover a way to feed it to my Facebook profile, which nicely removes one step... ).

But today I learned about fennel pollen, thanks to Twitter and a local favorite, Amy Pennington's GoGoGreenGarden. I have a vague recollection of hearing about it once before from a local chef, but clearly put it out of mind.

Apparently, fennel pollen is considered a delicacy, and is very expensive if purchased, when you can even find it. I have fennel plants growing like weeds in my yard, and right now, the tall, licorice smelling plants have lovely yellow blossoms on the tops of their long stalks. It's time to harvest!

I looked online to get a better idea of just how to do this, and the best post was from SFGate.com, circa 1999. And I'm only just now learning about this! I love fennel, but only recently tried adding the bulb - cooked and uncooked - to salads and saute's. It's divine. The seeds are what I'm most accustomed to, however, and have many yummy memories of dipping fingers into bowls of seeds at Vancouver's Indian restaurants, or tasting them in savory Eastern dinners. While fennel pollen is reported to taste different, all reports say it's an amazing spice for fish, pork, lamb... or whatever you might want to try it on (a few ideas and links can be found at The Kitchen).

I just picked several blossoms and put them upside down in a paper bag to dry. Probably not enough, though, so I'll pick more tomorrow (when it's light out again) to make sure I have a nice supply. I'm eager to try this new-found seasoning - it adds yet another option for experimenting with food, something I've grown to really like doing.

The funny thing, to me, is how often I've thought I should pull all this darn stuff up; like the oregano, it could take over if I let it. I think I've just had a change of heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment