Saturday, August 8, 2009

Did the sky dry up?

I can't remember when we've gone this long without rain. And the last several days have been gray and cool and threatening, but still not wet. Just today, I finally see rain predicted on my iGoogle forecast for the coming week, and it actually seems like it might come true this time. Rain has been predicted a few times over the last couple months, but has only minutely paid a visit. I never thought I'd say I was ready for rain.

Seattlest reports, by way of KING 5 Television's weather person, Jeff Renner, that June and July were our driest ever; not quite a quarter inch ( .24) of rain during those two months (a dry season that started mid-May and continues today). The record during that same period is just under half an inch (but the blog report doesn't give the year), although posts elsewhere mention both 2003 and 1965 as very dry summers.

According to the National Climatic Data Center, on July 16, 2009, we were experiencing moderate drought conditions:

The 0.18 inches (5 mm) at Seattle-Tacoma Airport was the third driest June on record dating back to 1948. There were 29 consecutive days (May 20th to June 17th) without measureable rain in Seattle, tying the record for a May-June dry spell.
Wonder where we're at now? And why I can't find anything more current to tell me? I do know that wetter than usual conditions are expected over the next week or so... Wonder what that'll do to the tomatoes?

No comments:

Post a Comment