Tuesday, May 18, 2021

25 years: How did I get so lucky? (A love letter...)

The weekend "we" began:
1996, Cape Flattery, WA

It's extraordinary that here we are at what we together designated our anniversary date, 25 years later. Who knew, when we looked at each other intently after a few bottles of wine, that we'd land where we are now? 

Then: dangling our feet over cliff's edge at Cape Flattery, holding hands at Lake Crescent, camped in a defunct taxidermy shed in the wilds of the Olympic peninsula, Portishead our soundtrack... no thought of a future together.  

Now: we've traveled, climbed, sailed, hiked, and meandered through endless experiences together; you've traveled the world on ships, and here you are, back home with me. 

You are one of the smartest, most knowledgeable, skilled, talented, caring, and creative humans I've ever met. And yes, funny, even though you laugh at your jokes more than anyone else, while we laugh at you laughing at them. I don't think there's anything you can't do, and you're definitely the one I want to be with should the world abruptly end. (Maybe your sister, too.)

Together, we navigated some rough waters and dicey storms. The roughest, a year-long separation, taught us hard lessons with lasting value. I wouldn't trade that time for anything because it got us here, despite exquisite anguish.

I shared what we learned a few years later in a post called 18 tips. We'd set a new course and found our way. 

Now, at 25, we're clearly here for the long haul. I can't imagine my life without you (although I will... because Gavin de Becker's Gift of Fear). 

And, I count my blessings every day. You lift me up when I need lifting, hold me accountable when I don't do what I say I'm going to, call me out when I'm mired in my spaghetti brain, nudge me forward, and make me laugh because you can (and I make you laugh, too, even with, as your dear cousin once said, no humor of my own). 

With you, life is an endless adventure, an awesome exploration, and a living testament that we can create what we want, change what we must, and find #momentsofjoy in the here and now. I can't imagine a better partner to plan a life with, build a house with, work out every morning with, wake up to, and all the other big and small things we do.

To borrow from Red Green, "if she doesn't find ya handsome, she better find ya handy." Thankfully, you're both, and then some. 

Looking forward to what the future brings, knowing it just gets better from here. 



No comments:

Post a Comment